THE LAB REPORT™
How to Stay Bronzed All Year Long
RAYYAN, BEAUTY EDITOR | OCTOBER 6, 2021
Seasonal transitions can mean a lot for our skin, especially when it comes to its visible appearance. Dull or lackluster skin often comes with the territory of drier, cooler weather and the side effect of that can mean less radiant skin. If you’re in sunny California like we are here at SKINN HQ, you can go for a beach day to get some sun – granted you’ve applied adequate sunscreen. But laying out in the sun all day can have adverse effects on our skin because tanned skin is still damaged skin. And if you are not in a place where the sun is always shinning at above 70 degrees Fahrenheit, a beach day isn’t always an option. Luckily, I have the perfect alternative to maintain radiant, bronzed skin all year long. Continue on for the ideal process to achieve the ultimate results from your spray tan.
Many people may think a spray tan equals orange skin. And I must confess, I too had this same misconception. I have never experienced a spray tan until I met celebrity spray tan artist, Brittani Zonker. She has been a spray tan specialist for over 10 years and owns and operates salon, Bronzed by Britt in Manhattan Beach, California. She has provided spray tans to celebrities like Paris Hilton, Kate Beckinsale, Christina Aguilera, and Lisa Rinna Dormit. With each session she creates a unique color based on individual skin tone and profile. A spray tan in itself is a type of sunless tanning, also known as UV-filled tanning, self-tanning, spray tanning, or fake tanning, and refers to the effect of a suntan without the actual sun. I always assumed since I have melanated skin, a spray tan wouldn’t work for me but Britt showed me otherwise! In fact, any and every skin tone, ethnicity, and gender can get a seamless, custom spray tan to fit unique lifestyle needs. The trick to achieving your individual sought after results comes from mastering the preparation leading up to the spray tan.
- Step 1: Shave and exfoliate a day prior using DermAppeal® Body and DermAppeal® Microdermabrasion Treatment for the face, neck, and décolleté.
- Step 2: Apply the Pitahaya Essence after exfoliating for an ideal flood of electrolytes featuring 47% Coconut Water and offering lightweight hydration that won’t interfere with the effects of your spray tan.
After properly prepping my skin, I headed to Manhattan Beach and arrived at Britt’s stunning spa.
Britt walked me through the process and steps to ensure I understood exactly how her custom spray tan is achieved. To fit my unique skin profile, she asked about my tan goals, the glow I’d ideally like to have, and even let me choose from natural and organic scents to enhance my experience. I, of course, chose Sandalwood and that amazing scent stayed on me the entire day! After protecting my hair, I went into the tanning booth and she sprayed away. Paying extra attention to not overspray around areas like the hands, feet, knees and elbows or any other area that tends to absorb more product than others, she delivered an evenly distributed natural finish. The entire session lasted an hour with the results being instant!
The most important thing I had to remember is what Britt called my ‘wash time’ meaning the hour of the day that I needed to do my initial rinse to remove the top, excessive layer of the spray tan. Because I had an extended tan, I waited at least eight hours for the tan to finish developing and then did my rinse. (An instant tan would only need to wait one to four hours.) The products you use after your spray tan are just as important as the products to prep – but slightly different. Because you don’t want to remove the tan, exfoliating is not going to be your best option. Instead, you’ll want to opt for gentle, mineral-oil-free products that aren’t as abrasive.
- Step 1: For the initial rinse use lukewarm water and gently rub hands in circular motions to adequately remove the excess tan.
- Step 2: The next day, shower once again in lukewarm water and use a gentle body wash.
- Step 3: Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Both internally with water, and externally on your skin. Your skin must stay hydrated to maintain the tan otherwise dry, cracked skin will make your spray tan less effective. To maintain the glow and optimal hydration, I recommend you use the Revitalizing Ayurvedic Body Blend. This balancing body lotion utilizes Ashwagandha to ensure calm, soothed skin and also works as an antioxidant to protect skin against external stressors.
It’s safe to say my first spray tan experience was a success – thank you Bronzed by Britt! Check out the full video of my tanning session on my Instagram @rayyanumrani! You can also book your tanning session at the Bronzed by Britt Salon by visiting their website or Instagram.
The SKINN community member(s) featured in this article were compensated for their testimonial and use of their image.