Serve in individual bowls. You may choose to place cut up pieces of chicken directly into the servings of soup.
- Prep chicken by removing excess fat. Fill a pot with enough water to cover chicken and bring to a boil for 5 minutes. Remove chicken and pour out water. Rinse pot.
- Return chicken to pot and add enough water to cover chicken (11 cups of water). Add carrots, celery, potato and leek. Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to medium. Cook, covered, for approximately one hour. Check the pot approximately 10-15 minutes into cooking and remove any froth that has come to the surface of the water.
- Once chicken has cooked remove it and set aside.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the vegetables from the chicken broth. Also set aside with the chicken.
- Strain the broth into a large, clean bowl using a fine sieve. Measure the liquid that you have (you will need 11 cups of liquid total) until reaching 11 cups, total.
- Pour stock into a pot. Rinse Arborio Rice and add to the stock. Add salt.
- At this point, remove about 1-2 cups of the stock set aside in a bowl to cool slightly.
- Cook the rice over medium high heat, stirring regularly. Keeping an eye on the rice for the first 5-10 mins to prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pot. Wait about 30 mins until rice to cook.
- Remove pot from heat.
- Separate egg whites from the eggs. Using a hand-held mixer or a fork to beat egg whites until frothy. Once the egg whites are frothy and foamy, add the egg yolks. Continue beating. Then, add the lemon juice. Beat together until combined and then slowly stream in the cup of stock that you had set aside, and which should have cooled so that it is warm but not hot. Continue to beat the egg/lemon mixture until all of the stock has been incorporated.
- Take this egg/lemon mixture and pour it slowly into the soup, stirring well. Give your pot of soup a few more stirs after all the avgolemono has been added.
And Enjoy, or as Dimitri says: Yiasou!
Happy Holidays from Dimitri and the entire SKINN team!